Home Corrections, Clarifications & RetractionsBy Subject Second Lebanon War

Second Lebanon War

by Mike Fegelman
  • CBC.ca: November 4, 2011: Correction: "The original version of this story incorrectly stated that Israel went to war with Lebanon in 2006. The conflict was actually between Israeli forces and the Lebanon-based Shiite group Hezbollah."
  • Canwest newspapers, May 26 2009: "Israel fought a war against Hezbollah in 2006 in Lebanon, not Hamas in Gaza." Correction issued.
  • CBC Online, Sept 24 2008: "Israel was not at war with Lebanon in 2007, as originally reported. In fact, Israel fought a 34-day conflict with Hezbollah militants in southern Lebanon.” Correction issued.
  • CBC Online, Sept 21 2008: Report claims Olmert called to resign after a government report criticized his “handling of the war against Lebanon the previous year.” Revision issued that stated “his handling of the 34 day conflict against militant organization Hezbollah in southern Lebanon the previous year.
  • La Presse, Sept 8 2008: "Article stated Israel went to war in 2006 with Lebanon. Clarification issued, stated war was more ‘precisely between Israel and the Hezbollah movement.’" Correction issued.
  • CBC Online, July 18 2008: "A report states Israel went to war with Lebanon in the summer of 2006. Report revised to be more precise stating that Israel went to war with Hezbollah." Correction issued.
  • Toronto Star, April 17 2008: "A letter to the editor published April 14 incorrectly stated the number of civilians killed when Israel bombed the Lebanese village of Qana in July 2006. According to a Human Rights Watch re-examination of its first report of civilian deaths at Qana, 28 people were killed, not 54 as the rights group originally reported, and was stated in the reader’s letter to the Star. April 17, 2008.” Correction issued.
  • CBC Around the World, Jan 31 2008: Apology – "Thanks for pointing it out. I will keep reminding my editors to be more vigilant with their prepositions,” according to a senior CBC editor after CBC TV’s Around the World program erroneously claimed that Israel went to war with Lebanon vs. Hezbollah in 2006.
  • CBC News, Jan 17 2008: Online Apology – According to a senior producer at CBC Online: “A CBC News interactive story entitled, “In the search for peace in the Middle East: The key players,” erroneously reported that: “From Israel’s point of view… war with Lebanon in the summer of 2006.” However, you pointed out, Israel did not go to war with Lebanon, but with Hezbollah. Yes, the sentence should have said “…war in Lebanon,” not “…war with Lebanon.” It was an inadvertent editing error.”
  • CBC Radio: The World at Six, Jan 17 2008: Apology – According to a senior producer at CBC: “Again, in your November 27 e-mail you drew our attention to an error in a report by CBC Washington correspondent Michael Colton on the November 26 editions of THE WORLD AT SIX.  The report referred to “’Israel’s war with Lebanon,’” you wrote, but Israel never declared war on Lebanon. Of course, in the summer of 2006, as you pointed out, Israel was not at war with Lebanon, but was fighting Hezbollah, the Shiite irregular forces in Lebanon. It was an inadvertent error.”
  • Montreal Gazette, Oct 12 2007: "A story in the Gazette of Oct. 6 from Reuters and Agence France-Presse news agencies, referred to Israel’s ‘war against Lebanon’ last year. In fact, Israel was at war with Hezbollah forces inside Lebanon at the time, not with the Lebanese government.” Correction issued.
  • Toronto Star, Sept 26 2007: “A Sept 6 Associated Press article about causalities from the 2006 Lebanon war mistakenly transposed the numbers of Israeli civilians and soldiers killed. The article should have said that 119 Israeli soldiers and 40 civilians were killed.”Correction issued.
  • Globe and Mail, Sept 12 2007: “Israel was at war with Hezbollah in the summer of 2006. Imprecise information appeared in an editorial in Monday’s paper.” Correction issued.
  • CBC Online, Aug 14 2007: CBC’s "IN DEPTH: Middle East in Crisis" section, created specially for the Israel-Lebanon crisis, opened with a picture of a Beirut neighbourhood flattened by Israeli bombs. After complaints, CBC replaced the image with one of Israeli soldiers embracing one another.
  • Toronto Star, July 18 2007: “Last summer, Israel bombed targets in Lebanon in retaliation for Hezbollah kidnappings of Israeli soldiers. A July 15 Sunday Star guest column about Canada’s approach to foreign policy misidentified Hezbollah. The Star regrets the error.” Correction issued.
  • Edmonton Journal, January 30 2007: Headline implied that Israel misused bombs in the Lebanon war, however the body of the article explained that no definitive conclusion was reached." Apology secured.
  • National Post, January 18 2007: Article said only 140 Israelis died in Israeli-Hezbollah war this past summer, in reality 159 Israelis died in the 34-day war. Follow-up article included revised numbers.
  • Embassy Magazine, January 10, 2007: Article misstated the Canadian aid expenditure to help in relief efforts after the Israeli-Hezbollah war this past summer. Admission of error, apology secured.

Comments

comments

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Help Fight Media Bias Against Israel!

Sign up for email alerts from HonestReporting Canada to receive vital resources that educate and empower you.
SUBSCRIBE
close-link