Canadian Media Fail To Label 6 Dead Palestinians As Terrorists

March 8, 2023

On March 7th, Israeli forces carried out an anti-terrorism raid in the west bank city of Jenin by targeting and killing a Hamas terrorist, Abdel Fattah Hussein Kharousha, who Israel says was responsible for killing two Israeli brothers, Hallel and Yagel Yaniv,  who were gunned down on February 26th.

In conducting the raid, Israeli soldiers say they entered a house searching for Khrousheh, but encountered a group of armed Palestinian terrorists who began to fire heavily at the soldiers. In response, the soldiers returned fire killing 6 terrorists; Palestinian armed groups later confirmed that the dead were members of either Hamas, Islamic Jihad or the Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades.

However, that did not stop Canadian media outlets like CTV News, CBC Radio-Canada, The Globe and Mail, The Toronto Star, CP24, and La Presse from releasing headlines and corresponding coverage that not only failed to mention that the 6 Palestinians who were killed were all confirmed members of terrorist organizations, but also misled their readers by portraying this counter-terror raid as an act of aggression by Israel against innocent Palestinian civilians, when nothing was farther from the truth.

For Canadian broadcasters, CTV News aired the following segment on March 7th at 12:20 PM, with a headline stating only that “6 killed in Jenin raid” and with the full report saying:

And at least six Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli army raid in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin. The Israeli military says it killed the suspect in the fatal shooting of two Israeli brothers in the West Bank town of Huwara last week.”

Click below to watch CTV News clip:

Click below to see media headlines:

Canada’s media have a responsibility to report the facts: the 6 Palestinians who were killed were all confirmed terrorists that initiated hostiliites against Israeli soldiers. Sign the letter above and let CTV News, CBC Radio-Canada, The Globe and Mail, The Toronto Star, CP24, and La Presse all know that it’s imperative that they not omit crucial facts in their headlines and coverage about the makeup of these Palestinian casualties as all being comprised of combatants, not civilians.

Six Palestinians were killed today in #Jenin as Israeli security forces attempted to apprehend Abdul Khrousheh who is suspected of shooting and killing two Israelis in Huwara. Of the six, I’ve identified each as members of militant groups or were likely associated with them. pic.twitter.com/W8gYQRHdgN

— Joe Truzman (@JoeTruzman) March 7, 2023

Failing corrective action, these news outlets have done a great disservice to their readers and viewers by framing what took place in Jenin as being an act of aggression by Israel against innocent Palestinian civilians, whereas in fact, Israel sought to arrest terrorists responsible for the murder of two innocent Israelis and acted in self defense against armed Palestinian terrorists who initiated a gun battle, through explosive devices and hid behind an ambulance in an urban civilian neighbourhood, all bona fide war crimes.

UPDATE: After an HonestReporting Canada complaint, we are pleased to report that The Globe and Mail has taken corrective action by amending its headline to acknowledge that all 6 dead Palestinians were gunmen. We thank the Globe for correcting its reporting.

Comments

Send this to a friend