An impressive CBC investigation of the Hariri assassination concludes Hezbollah did the dirty deed.
Among Neil Macdonald’s findings:
- Cell phone records indicate Hezbollah responsibility for the assassination.
- Hezbollah penetrated the UN investigation early on.
- A Lebanese policeman, Capt. Wissam Eid, who cracked the case, was murdered by a Hezbollah car bomb after an ominous warning to back off the investigation.
- UN investigators were slow to appreciate the significance of Eid’s findings.
- The slain PM’s chief of protocol, Col. Wissam Hassan, hasn’t adequately explained his whereabouts during the assassination, while a confidential UN memo labels him a possible suspect. Moreover, Col. Wissam was a liaison between UN investigators and Lebanon’s Internal Security Forces (ISF). He is now the ISF’s intelligence chief.
- The weakest link in prosecuting any suspects is the difficulty of converting the cell phone analysis into evidence that will stand up in a court of law.
(Hat tip: Media Backspin)