Bulgaria’s Interior Minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, told reporters the bomber who killed five Israelis and their driver was part of the terrorist Hezbollah cell. Two other members of the group carried Canadian and Australian passports.
The Australian and Canadian had been living in Lebanon since 2006 and 2010 respectively, he said. “We have followed their entire activities in Australia and Canada so we have information about financing and their membership in Hezbollah,” he said in a statement on the Bulgarian interior ministry website. “A reasonable assumption can be made that the two of them were members of the militant wing of Hezbollah.”
In the wake of the Bulgarian government’s announcement, Canadian Foreign Minister Baird urged aggressive action to isolate Hezbollah. Baird today issued the following statement:
“Canada commends Bulgaria for its thorough investigation of last summer’s heinous attack in Burgas. That Bulgaria has found convincing evidence of Hezbollah involvement in this carnage is, sadly, not surprising. It is yet more evidence of the depravity of Hezbollah.
Canada remains a committed partner in the global struggle against terrorism in all of its forms.
We urge the European Union and all partners who have not already done so to list Hezbollah as a terrorist entity and prosecute terrorist acts committed by this inhumane organization to the fullest possible extent.
Canada listed Hezbollah as a terrorist entity under the Criminal Code in December 2002 and listed its principal backer, Iran, as a state supporter of terrorism under the Justice for Victims of Terrorism Act on September 7, 2012.
Mr. Baird also said Canada was taking “very seriously” allegations that a member of the Hezbollah cell behind the attack is a Canadian citizen, adding Ottawa was working with Bulgarian authorities.”