As first reported by Media Backspin, today’s Regina Leader Post included an article bearing the following bungled headline:
You have to read the full article to find out that Gaza and Lebanon are on the brink of civil war, not Israel.
HonestReporting Canada has contacted Leader Post editors to express concern over this inaccurate and misleading headline.
Here’s how other Canwest papers headlined the same article, written by Matthew Fisher:
- Victoria Times Colonist: "Israel’s borders threatened by unrest"
- Vancouver Sun: "Israel braces for civil war on two of its borders"
- Edmonton Journal: "Gaza on brink of civil war"
- Calgary Herald: "Gaza erupts in violence"
- Saskatoon Star Phoenix: "Israel surrounded by potential civil wars"
- Windsor Star: "Israel’s neighbours torn by strife"
- Montreal Gazette: "Hamas and Fatah to talk"